Monday, April 2, 2012

The Magic Garden














Spring has sprung, and this seasons' fresh, floral goodness reminds me of a favorite t.v. show from childhood called The Magic Garden. Let's listen to one of the cheeriest good-bye songs ever, because the gals know some kids get teary-eyed during "bye bye" time.



Kids also get the "giggles", which is one of the happiest sounds in our species—a child's laughter. The "Chuckle Patch" has a bunch of adorable daisies that serve as stand-ins for the kiddies in the audience. Kids love silly jokes, the sillier the better. Mad Libs anyone? 


Naturally, this awesomeness was brought to you by an educator from Brooklyn College, from the coolest city on the planet, Boogie-Up Brooklyn. Told you we rocked, and now you have even more proof. The squirrel "Sherlock" is bi-lingual, Spanish and English, of course. He's probably Puerto Rican! Hey, that's how we roll here in this lovely cultural quilt that is New York.



But I know Brooklyn squirrels are exceptional. Here's the friendly, curious fellow who lived under the living room air conditioner with his one-pawed friend, whooping it up. I remember hearing their loud ruckus for the first time, because I thought it was an injured pigeon trapped inside the apartment. Once the A/C went kaput and I had it removed he left, back to tree living I suppose. I named him "Chuckie". Before relocating to new digs, he tried to get inside every time I left a window screen open. 

I was forced to patch up a hole in the kitchens' window screen (Ted the Mal-related damage, one of his gnawed out breathing holes to freedom, I guess), Chuckie pulled frantic hit-and-runs, leaving behind incriminating footie prints on the white counter. I'd hear scuffling, run into the room, catch him in the act and shake my finger scoldingly, yelling "No, Chuckie! Noooo!! No! Bad Chuckie! Very bad!!" He'd get scared, stunned for a moment, frozen in place with fear and indecision, then exit via Teds' blowhole, scurrying back onto the balcony and under the A/C, his tail quivering while the rest of him was hidden underneath. They're crafty and they're just my type! 

For those of you not from our wonderful world, please explore the links below, to discover one of the greatest children's programs ever.
Have a shiny day!