Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Cooking with Gas

Rocky Mountain Toast
Back in college, one of my friends introduced me to something he called "Rocky Mountain Toast", which totally delighted me because it was new to me (Thanks, Weeg!). He also took the time to show me the contents of the house freezer and explain their budget shopping strategy, skills that I still rely on, in times of financial duress. The key to a broke-ass breakfast done right is this list right here: a dozen eggs cheap, a discount loaf of white bread, bargain tub of butter or margarine, and a huge container of frozen hash browns. It was to be had in our little podunk upstate college mountain town for around $6.

Me and my groups of friends had an excellent meal that morning. Since then, every time I crack an egg into the center of a hollowed out piece of bread, I think about my crew of cool-ass beach kids from "Strong Island" who love The Ramones, The B-52's, and The Beastie Boys. Toaster-Dome Forevah!