Friday, April 13, 2012

Cooking with Gas


Tortillas!
This week is "Tortilla Week" at mi casa, because I bought a stack of white corn ones for $1.49, at the local Latino-centric grocery store. With a few staples, I'll create dishes all week long. As I mulled over menu possibilites, I remembered that I have a cookbook devoted to tortillas, from my very first job after graduating college in 1993.

Prep work
Certain fruits and vegetables are in season right now, so I went to the store with a list and a plan, as I always do. There's a bunch of free Smartphone apps that let the user know what to buy at the store that's local, fresh, and seasonal to your growing area. I decided my vegetable this week to experiment with would be escarole, something I never had growing up.

Work in progress...

Pico de gallo on the side
Since I woke up the next morning with my fridge full of this week's menu options, naturally a breakfast dish was first on the menu. And what says that better than a plate pf Huevos Rancheros? It's classic, easy, and very healthy. I did some adapting to the classic recipe in the book, which I used as a guide only, by adding escarole and adjusting for a single serving. After cooking down the vegetables in olive oil, I made in a well in the middle, cracked an egg in the center, and put Queso Blanco on top. It melted beautifully, covered for a few minutes.

Huevos Rancheros
Here's the finished plate, and a happier breakfast diner would have been hard to find in all of Brooklyn this morning. I inhaled it in about 5 minutes flat. Lickety split!