Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Cooking with Gas - Leftovers


Enchilada filling
Here we are with the last of Sunday's fried chicken, just one drumstick left. After consulting my handy Tortillas! cookbook for a general direction, I began with the filling: garlic and onion in olive oil, shredded chicken, escarole, some jalapeno, a large spoonful of small red kidney beans with a little bit of the cans' liquid, and a plum tomato.

Rolled and back in the pan with liquid
The books' recipe called for heavy cream with two bouillon cubes, 
but I adapted it with a bit of whole milk in a cup of chicken broth. 
I put the filling in the warmed tortillas and rolled them up, then they went back in the pan with shredded Monterey Jack and New York Extra Sharp Cheddar (my favorite) over the top. I left the cover off for the liquid to reach a boil and reduce down to a sauce.

Chicken, bean, and escarole enchiladas
The recipe also mentioned oven baking for melty goodness, but with yesterday's summer-like temps, I wanted to avoid adding heat to the apartment. My mom makes a stovetop chicken parm that's killer, so I took solace in that and moved forward. And here it is! Most of the pan liquid burned off, leaving the cheesy edges to crisp up beautifully. Forks up!