Sunday, April 1, 2012

Binky the Space Cat

Binky and TeddyBear




Last year I attended a book fair here in New York. There's lots of networking, fake smiles, shaking hands, and free promotional stuff that comes with the price of admission. I have no idea who this cartoon character is (sorry, author!), but as I soon as I saw the fantastically outlined die cut shape, I had to have it. I'm a savvy aficionado, so this piece telegraphed "Love" to me with a capital "L". Nice! Such intricate work and craft. The publishing game is all about catching the eye based on a readers' particular set of interests, and I was ripe for the picking. I've been "pet poor" since the loss of my precious Bear Cub, (http://mariedoucette.blogspot.com/search?q=Ted).

Awkward as this item was in my give-away bag, I held onto it during a long day of pounding the pavement, carting it via subway back to Brooklyn. Since that fateful day, Binky the Space Cat has lived in my apartment, making a home for itself in the living room, comfortably settling in. I love my make-believe pet, especially since he doesn't even look like a cat. What is Binky? Who cares! I love his astronaut ways, his get-up-and-go, and the way the t.v.'s cable cord looks like a lifeline into space. Thanks, Binks. You rule.