Thursday, August 1, 2013

Gardens and Green Walls: Landscape Design


Landscaped garden in Pearl River, NY.

There are many aspects to country life I enjoy, and access to beautiful landscapes is definitely one of the finer things in life. A sense about natural beauty has informed every major aesthetic I have as an artist and designer. I couldn't imagine my work without them as influences, so high do I hold them up on my list.


I've spent time gardening as a kid, helping my mom with her vegetable garden, and sporadically as an adult, growing herbs in a small backyard space, and it gives you an enormous sense of accomplishment to grow your own food. I've read a saying recently that said it's like growing your own money, and that's true. It is a freedom.


Beyond the undeniably practicality of a kitchen garden, a lush space enhances the home and surroundings in every way. A lovely garden enriches your soul, making you feel good. There's a reason we turn to nature for solace and inspiration: they form the center of every great abbey that's been built, so closely do we tie it to our spiritual health.


I can't imagine New York City without it's great cultural institutions of parks and public gardens, because they serve as essential counterpoints to all that human (and fallible) construction. Even when there's artifice behind the design, the benefits of breathing cleaner air is incalculable to our physical health. Make sure to spend some time outdoors this week, if you can. You'll be the better for it.

See my board on Pinterest for more gardens and green spaces:http://pinterest.com/mariedoucette/gardens-and-green-walls/