Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Cottages: The Sitzmark Ski Shop


The Sitzmark Ski Shop of Pearl River, NY.

One of the best facets about being from the original 13 Colonies is a palatable sense of history and lineage that's directly tied to our ethnic affiliations. Many New Yorkers count the craftsmen who built our cities and towns as their direct ancestors. With them came their European aesthetics: medieval cobblestone streets, peaked roofs, and charming cottages. At heart I love old homes, particularly old Victorians, with their creaking wood floors, tall ceilings, big open spaces, and design quirks around every corner. I miss the time spent on making things slowly but well, because it's built to last. That's something I try to keep in any work flow I find myself in: carving out space for quality, because craft matters. 

It's hard to fight for. As the pace of life quickens, people typically toss out time and care when under pressure. But some things are worth fighting for, and a beautifully designed space should be the first thing we want for ourselves. Our homes are where we spend the bulk of our time. The Sitzmark Ski Shops' been here since way before I first moved to Rockland with my family in the 70s, but I still love passing it by. It's like the proverbial fairy tale cottage in the woods, full of magic and mystery. I love that's it's a very old church, now an old seasonal ski shop, whose downstairs basement still houses the workspace.  

Do you have every day magic around you?

Come check out my board full of quaint cottages on Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/mariedoucette/cottages/