Friday, August 2, 2013

Sacred Spaces: St. Margaret's

Saint Margaret's of Pearl River, NY.

I have another Pinterest board that's called Street Art and Sacred Spaces for a reason: both are intimate communal places that give us very specific experiences. One very late night, my mind racing from an unfortunately timed evening cup of very strong tea that I shouldn't have had, I condensed my boards into groupings, thinking about what I wanted to say to my audience.


Street sign in Pearl River, NY.

It's a carefully culled selection of images, whose pairings are designed for pondering. What do our public spaces say? Sometimes it's as simple (and wonderfully complex) as a stand of beautiful tress that inspired the original cathedral builders who sought to draw our eyes upwards towards the heavens, or a sticker on a bus stop links together the creator and the viewer in a bonding experience that's just as intelligently (and sublimely) developed. Enjoy the view.