Monday, August 26, 2013

Nature: Loud Bark


Photo
An exceptional variety of bark coloration.

Any good painter or textile artist or designer will tell you that the study of nature is essential for divining patterns. R.I.S.D. (The Rhode Island School of Design) has a Nature Lab devoted specifically for that purpose: chiefly, to school young artists in the ways of observation as it exists naturally. 
I practically lived here for three years; talk about an inspiring space. This is the Edna W. Lawrence Nature Lab at the Rhode Island School of Design. It's a gigantic cabinet of curiosities, which exists for the sole purpose of being studied and drawn. Via RISD's Flickr stream.
The Edna Lawrence nature Lab at RISD.

It was one of the places on campus that I loved best as a student, because it called to those interests already begun at my mother's knee (herself with degrees in Botany and Biology). Whenever I see a great pattern, I'm already thinking about its' inspirational uses, whether as a background texture or a beautiful photo or a funky fabric, such is the diversity of a well trained creative thinker. What inspires you?

Are you also a fan or flora and/or fauna? The follow me here: http://pinterest.com/mariedoucette/nature/.