Thursday, August 22, 2013

Food: Wild Grapes


Wild grapes.

After walking past these vines for weeks, I finally picked some ripe wild grapes last week, which was a bold move on my part. You never know what people do by the side of a road, but these were on a small hill that I had to climb to pick them, so I figured they were about as organic as you're going to get outside of a expensive organic market.

Wild grapes growing by the side of a road.

I tossed them in with some small sour apples I picked up from a nearby park into a warm steak salad, and it turned out to be the right thing to do: the apples became sweeter upon cooking and so did the grapes, plus they gave off a beautiful red wine color when they sweated with some onions. I love it when a dish all comes together on the fly like that, because I've cracked enough eggs to make a very big omelet. What do you find growing in the wild?