Wednesday, October 26, 2011

"Everybody was Kung-Fu Fighting"

Me and my Irish twin bro were obsessed with wacky martial arts movies as kids, the weirder the better. They were so much fun to watch: the bad dubbing, the over-acting, the sound effects, plus some real martial arts and weapon skills. Back in the day, Channel 9 WOR-TV in New York aired long afternoons filled with foreign flicks. 


We relished this t.v. time to indulge our interest. Bruce Lee was a huge film star in the 70s, bringing the first serious wave of martial arts to the States. In the 80s, things took a turn for the "douche" when "The Karate Kid" came out. I remember cliques of wanna-be's posing around junior high in white headbands with the Japanese sun in the middle, throwing fake kicks and using nunchucks poorly.

Fight culture has long been a part of my family. My dad was in the Navy, and he had done some boxing at Gleason's Gym in Brooklyn. He grew up in a rough section called Bed-Stuy, a time that he still doesn't talk about openly or often, and I can't blame him for that. He had friends in gangs and in jail, doing serious time. I suspect he may have dabbled in greaser culture, too, though the military put him on the path to self-discipline, lessons he installed in all his children.

In my family, there are five of us who have studied (or currently study) martial arts: me and my twin, my youngest bro, my oldest nephew, and even my mom, who took Tai Chi classes for people with Multiple Sclerosis. It must be genetic, as is our bent towards weaponry. Another nephew expressed interest in fencing, something I have always wanted to try. There never seems to be enough time to accomodate all of my various hobbies, interests, and activities, a problem that I am happy to have. Boredom is not a trait we understand well, because, like the saying goes, there is the strong suggestion that one may be boring, another character trait I do not have.

We loved the costumes, the fantasy, and also the beautiful skills from the imports we watched so avidly. Those early movies exposed us to a different world, one which filled us with a fascination that will last a lifetime. Consider this a introduction to more articles on martial arts culture. That's a promise!


"Keeeeee-yaaaahhhhh!!!!"