Friday, October 14, 2011

Best Musicals

When I saw this movie in a dark theater, I sat in one of the rowdiest, loudest-laughing crowds I'd ever been part of. Truth be told, I was feeling no pain in my seat, thanks to pre-movie indulgences. To test my instincts in the sober light of day, I saw it again on Netflix. Wow.

Dear readers, I submit to you, for your approval, that the catchiest movie musicals of modern cinema are written by Trey Parker and Matt Stone, of "South Park" fame. One of the best is none other than "Team America: World Police." How about this little ditty, in place of our National Anthem? 

(WARNING: THE FOLLOWING VIDEO CLIPS ARE NOT SUITABLE FOR CHIlDREN):


Ever felt trapped on an island, in a sea of loneliness and stupidity? Kim Jong Il has, as he shares his tale of woe with us, in song:


How about folding major movie stars into your plan for world domination (because your alien planet has decreed that you must do so), only to watch your scheme go down in flames? Relatable, yes? Kim Jong Il feels your pain, and so do I:


What about the sadness you felt when "Rent" ended it's run on Broadway? The directors have that covered, and happily so. They give their leading star his next role as Master Spy, as this story arc shows him getting "discovered" anew:


Are you in love? Do you miss your paramour, and also the lack of decent movie roles for Cuba Gooding, Jr? I do, and so do Trey Stone and Matt Parker:


As we head into the weekend, let's pause for a moment, as we reflect back on the work week. Did you find yourself caught up in a game of petty office politics, with annoyingly clueless and toothless co-workers? Kim Jong Il has! The directors build tension musically, as we wait for the denouement to this mise en scene:



Hey, it's Friday, and you're outta there! 
Have a "Good" one, for Cuba and me :)