Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Wild Parrots of Brooklyn

What are wild parrots doing in Brooklyn? It's a long story! (photo credit: Stephen Baldwin)
Upon my return home from out west, where I had lived for several years, I took an interview at Brooklyn College. The publications director and I got along well, and I believe it was then that I first heard about the colony of wild parrots nesting in the campus' clock tower.

It has become the subject of many delightful urban myths. The most enduring tales are those of the wayward pet store owner who accidentally released their catch, or the private owner with an unattended open window, thus providing an excellent escape hatch for their pet parrots.

Nonetheless, they have become a colorful fixture in our borough, adapting and thriving in this climate. Take a tour, and see for them for yourself. Happy hunting!