Monday, September 19, 2011

Bubo!

When I was a kid, me and my brothers flipped for the 1981 movie Clash of the Titans. We were way into monster flicks—we had subscriptions to magazines like Fangoria and Monster. We ordered King Kong models to make our own stop-motion films with a Super 8. My oldest brother was the driving force on most of these projects, acting as director, while my other brother and I were relegated to script changes, scene details, and other menial duties most production assistants perform on sets. Each of us had a favorite monster we loved to watch and be frightened by. They were, in descending sibling order, Frankenstein, the Werewolf, and Dracula.

We had other nerdy interests, too. There were the Star Trek conventions and our subscription to the requisite companion fan mag "Starlog". I learned to make tribbles using fake fur and pillow stuffing. There were also the Renaissance Faires, which skewed a little too girly for the boys because of the men in tights walking around, but I loved to look at the women wearing pretty dresses with corseted waists and flower garlands decorating their hair. As a kid, I sometimes made my Halloween costumes, too—one year, I took old pillowcases and created a Court Jester outfit. It's a holiday that still remains a favorite within our family, for it's rejoicing in the creative spirit of costuming and role-playing.


I naturally started diverging into more artistic endeavors like claymation and stop-motion animation. My "Irish Twin"* brother and I did a hilarious version of the werewolf tale, using fur from our Samoyed to transform him into a white wolf (in reality, our dog Snowflake), which we filmed in our kitchen. When COTT came out, we each attached ourselves to a different point and character within the mythology. For me, Bubo was the cutest and coolest mechanical companion anyone could want. He made a series of hoots and clicks, and he had a great sense of humor. Despite his tiny size, he packed a wallop as a sidekick, becoming the pivotal distraction to beat the Kraken at great risk to himself. He was noble and brave.

Looking back, I cannot believe we didn't own a toy version of Bubo. What happened to marketing synergy? It was all over the Star Wars franchise! Never fear, dear readers, for years later, I have found my Bubo replica, and can rejoice. http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/gentle-giant-clash-of-the-titans-bubo-statue (Ahem, Christmas is coming up quick) 

Here's wishing you an epic start to the week.

* Definition: The term is used to describe two children born to the same mother in the same calendar year or within twelve months of each other. The phrase originated as a derogatory term associated with Irish immigration to the United States and England in the 1800's. The implication was that large groups of close-in-age siblings were the result of uneducated, poor Irish Catholic families' lack of birth control as well as self-control.
In modern use, the term is not intended as an insult, but rather a description of siblings born close together. Irish twins are not actually twins and they are not the same as having twins, which are defined as two siblings born from the same gestation.
Also Known As: Irish triplets when three children are born to the same mother within three years.
Examples: A mother gives birth to one baby in January of 2007 and another child in December of the same year. Or, alternatively, a mother births a child in August of 2007, becomes pregnant again in October, and gives birth to another child in July of 2008.