Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Baby Godzilla

The first time I saw Baby Godzilla as a kid, I kind of lost my mind. Out of the entire lexicon of rubber suit monster movies, nothing was faker, stupider, or funnier than watching a shorter, weirder version of Godzilla make ridiculous donkey sounds and blow smoke rings. 

(the sound is dreadful on all these clips, but you knew that already)


When one contemplates that an entire media industry was centered around dudes in costumes doing pretend battles dressed as freaky creatures, it just boggles the mind. It's so out there, so fabulously bizarre, that it excited my already feverish imagination beyond belief. I realized that these were adults making these movies and getting paid for it. What a glorious way to entertain! The inane silliness of it all delighted my child's mind. 


I've never forgotten the magical, gut-busting laughter elicited by these films while we watched them growing up. Me and my brothers still know most of Godzilla's foes and allies by heart, and we each had a favorite (mine is Mothra). Do you? 


Laugh yourself silly today :)