Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Joseph Campbell and The Power of Myth

For anyone learning the ropes about the art of storytelling, I submit that there is no better authority and teacher than Joseph Campbell. I remember when I first discovered his series with Bill Beutel on PBS, and I was instantly enraptured—by his eloquence and articulation, the depth of his knowledge, his frank, energetic passion, and excitement for his subject, all of which marked him instantly, in my mind, as a master to learn from.


It becomes even more poignant when you realize, as I did watching the series unfold, that Mr. Campbell was in the last stages of his life, and he knew it. There are several parts which were filmed at The Museum of Natural History, here in New York, where Mr. Beutel asked him about his ending. It is as moving a tribute to the spirit of life as I have ever heard.

No words of mine can ever do justice to his incredible legacy. Please discover Joseph Campbell and his works, and be profoundly changed, forever, as I was.