Monday, March 19, 2012

Cooking with Gas


Romano-crusted tilapia
Busy with other activities, I've been a bit lax with the foodie posts. Rest assured, I'm still cooking. So, let's get to it. I wanted to celebrate this past Lenten abstention traditionally, with a real Fish Friday.

I'm not a big seafood eater because I prefer fresh shellfish, like any other Acadian. I researched some recipes online to get a feel for the direction of the fry, and it's pretty simple. Like most Italian cooking, the ingredients just have to be fresh. I bought tilapia and Italian parsley, mixing Locatelli romano and seasoned bread crumbs together for the coating. Et voilà!

Ham and egg sandwich with Boston Bibb lettuce and fresh Italian parsley
Like the past few weekends, I woke up Saturday morning with carnivore tastes. I decided to frazzle the last of the Applegate Farms ham, and since it was already around lunchtime, make a nice eggy sandwich with Bread Alone's Peasant Bread. Killer eats, friends. Check it out.

Spaghetti with chicken and parsley meatballs in tomato sauce.
On a roll, I kept the nostalgia theme going. For many Italian-Americans, the early meal on Sunday is a big pasta dinner. After remembering my late grandfather with the St. Pat's parade, I'm sure he'd love my food made in honor of his lovely wife, my sweet Italian-American Grandma. By now, many of you may be wondering just how many ethnicities there are in my huge extended family, and the answer is...a lot! But that's an article for another day. Nothing reminded me more of childhood Sundays' past than crashing out drowsily on the couch with a very full belly. Happy St. Joseph's Day!