Friday, March 1, 2013

March Blows In


It was one of those March days when the sun shines hot 
and the wind blows cold: when it is summer 
in the light, and winter in the shade. 

—Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Good morning, dear readers! March is a very exciting time in New York. The weather turns from winter to spring and back again in the span of a day, and this town gets ready for the biggest parade of the year, the St. Patrick's Day Parade.

Most importantly, I get to break out my Irish gear and post pictures of me sporting it, because as most of you readers know, I am descended from the Corbetts' of Galway through my maternal grandfather. Incidentally, he bought me the Greek fisherman's cap you see me wearing in my new authors' photo to the right because I loved his so much, bought when my grandparents travelled the globe after his retirement from ConEdison.

Those of us who are also lucky enough to be Acadian come from a beautiful island called “New Scotland”, or now commonly known as Nova Scotia. We are a wonderfully eclectic blend of the French, Native American, and Celtic, and this month's wild weather ride, with its' rough storms and pelting rains, only drives the point home further for island people of the Northern Hemisphere.

Change is coming. Are you ready? 

Sláinte
Sláinte (SLAHN-chə) is a word literally translating as "health"[1] and is commonly used as a drinking toast in Ireland, Scotland and the Isle of Man.