Monday, March 18, 2013

Around the Way: Walkens are Welcome


Walkens are welcome at the Café Steinhof


We have this great Austrian restaurant in my 'hood that's been around for long time, which is the hallmark of a successful restaurant in our highly competitive town. Places that have have been around for many years with a strong neighborhood following are signs that they're really good, because just to stay in business is a “win”, what with skyrocketing leases and an ever-dwindling supply of customers.

I walked past it a couple of weeks ago after getting a freshly made chocolate croissant from a tiny French bakery called “Parco” that's across the street. To me the door alone defines the essence of our unique Brooklyn lifestyle: hip without trying too hard, a cool vibe without forcing it on you, and really, really good food. Unpretentious and awesome: that's how I feel about my hometown. 
Walkens are always welcome!