Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Voters, Keep Your Sh*t Together


Hello, New York! I just had the privilege to vote and the lines in my district are long and slow moving. I waited patiently for a couple of hours on a line, (indoors, safe and dry) and watched people in the crowd lose their sh*t, then incite others to give loud voice to their anger. Fail. After I allowed some venting to pass, I took the occasion to change the tone by speaking up in a reassuring way and then I high-fived some voters coming out of the gymnasium after their vote.

Look, people, you waited a couple of hours in a line...that's it. You wait in a line that gives you the power to direct the course of history in the greatest free country on the planet. I saw people of every size, shape, color, race, ethnicity, and mental well-being stand in line together, united in the commonality of willing participation in this momentous act of freedom.

So, keep your perspective and take a deep breath. Yes, long lines are frustrating and inconvenient but I'm sure if my grandfather would have had the choice between waiting on a line versus getting shot several times during World War II, he would have chosen the relative safety of a public vote in a school gymnasium over bleeding from multiple bullet wounds in a freezing cold muddy ditch, wondering if he was about to take his last breath after he rescued the members of his company.

This is what we fight for, folks. So keep your f#cking sh*t together and suck it up. In the course of life, two hours to make history is one of the easiest trade-offs I've ever had to make. And I know most of you in that line didn't have anything else to accomplish today, anyway. What are you, like, the President or something?!

No pushing, keep smiling, and congratulations on your contribution to our society by gathering in a peaceful assembly to vote. In other words, grow up. You just made history.