Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Love Thy Neighbor


 
It's no secret that I get singled out for harassment, whether it's at school, work, or the home, and just as typically, it's a woman. In my last apartment building, the woman on the first floor hated New York. They had been relocated from Philly by her husband's law firm, and she walked around with the bombed out air of someone who had been through a Blitzkrieg, which was weird for gorgeous and affluent brownstone Brooklyn. They lived half a block from one of the most beautiful parks in the world, Prospect Park. But she was pretty in an average way and she had the demeanor of privilege about her, so I knew she'd be trouble in the end.
And so it was. Her bad attitude extended to their dog "Boo", a big surly sheepdog, a total oxymoron for the breed. Soon after I arrived with my Mal "Ted", a couple from Georgia was relocated by the husband's law firm, too. They lived above me. They were young and nice. I often heard loud footsteps during the day, and soon I found out why. She worked as a adoption agent from home, and we became friendly when she knocked on my door one afternoon for a cup of proverbial sugar. They loved my dog and his temperament, but confided in me that the dog downstairs was an "asshole". And so it was.
Before long, the neighbor downstairs called me to say my footsteps were too loud on the staircase. Then she called me to ask if I could pick up Ted's chain when we came back from a walk. Of course it was fine that her and her children woke the building up every morning between 6-7 am with their boisterous sounds, which didn't bother me at all. Privileged. Because she hated where she was, which was odd enough given that they had a beautiful garden apartment in one of the most desired locations in the world, she started lashing out.
If it wasn't "noise" from others, it was garbage pick up. Then the apartment conditions stressed her out. She called us looking to build a coalition of complaints. Did I have a leaky faucet? Did I have this or that or that, trying to suss out unequal attention or injustice that wasn't there. I paid a premium for that apartment and its' location, as did the other tenants lawyers, and we were the first generation to live in this private home, so it was fairly pristine from any sort of live in damages.
But, since I couldn't afford a place that had originally been budgeted for two salaries, it was soon time to move. Before I left, the family downstairs was moving back to Philly and the harassed woman I knew finally had a sense of calm about her. Wow. Two whole states she had to move on a lawyer's salary. She later told me that her Great Dane that came into their marriage had to be put down because it was not trust worthy with their first newborn. Perhaps that was the reason for her depression, but at the time it looked like the usual rich housewife ennui and angst.
The first time I saw my next Park Slope apartment, I took it on the spot. It was very old and run down and it needed a lot of repairs, but it had great bone structure. I could turn this out, and the price was better than my previous apartment. Since Ted and I were on our own (well, I'm always pretty much on my own), we had to curb expenses and this 4th floor walk up would have to do. But something wasn't right. There was a still tense quiet in the hallways that I usually felt in nursing homes, with old people behind lace curtains watching me and my dog walk up and down the stairs. It didn't feel like healthy people lived there. I would find out why.
It was aggressive from the start. A woman on the ground floor immediately stepped right up to my face and wanted to know the amount I paid for my rent and why I could "have" a dog. Uh oh. I know this. She turned out to be gay and simply forward, later inviting me to surf with her, and her and her friends soon moved out. Another woman also asked me about my rent and the dog in a way that insinuated my looks "got" me the apartment, by pointedly looking me up and down. I told them how the building manager lived on my old block and knew my former landlord, but that didn't mollify their anger. It never does.
That was nothing compared to what would happen next. As soon as the people downstairs saw me, they tensed up. No "hellos" or greetings of any kind. Huh. Must be Europeans or stressed out newcomers to the city. But the woman seriously worried me, and of course I was right about her, as I always am. She had the bugged out eyes of a either drug addict or someone who was a candidate for a nervous breakdown. There was something very wrong with her and she knew I knew it, because I was aghast at their bad manners every time I saw them in the hallway.
Rather than confront me directly, they waited.  Soon enough, I would come home from a 10-12 hour day to walk my dog, letters started appearing taped to my door. Here we go. "I can hear every word you say", was one creepy line. OK, so now I'm responsible for the buildings 115 year old wood floors. Great. It was again with me and the dog in the hallway, fur on the staircase that the super had to sweep up, or me not waking up fast enough for her. They were building it up quick. Fuck. I needed this place to get back on my feet.
Being the person I am, I bought the people downstairs a noise reducer machine that made ambient sound. Uh uh. It didn't "work" for her. Another note. I should just return it. Huh. Do they know what being a neighbor means? Apparently not. I bought another area rug for the bedroom to help absorb sound. Nope. More notes. The woman was backed by her big Lurch of a husband who stood behind her glaring at me silently and sometimes (even creepier) he had a smile around his mouth as he looked at me. I'm sure that was my fault, too, along with breathing. He was her only source of power, hence this petty passive-aggressive shit.
They were also sensitive complainer types. They routinely harassed the young couple who did building chores like garbage duty and clean up, calling them at 10 in the evening to change a light bulb. Ah. That was it. They hated New York, they didn't belong here, and we were all going to pay the price for their anger. I've been through this before.
It escalated and the notes grew nastier. The manager did nothing, nor did the other tenants. As I've documented before, this drove me to such lengths that I began sleeping in my clothes so I could wake up quicker to prevent coming home from a long day to another letter, or waking up before I was awake myself to tend to him, lest they dare be disturbed. I broke my leg because I was half asleep when I was walking Ted and not paying close attention to him, a fact that I immediately called her up and told her about when I got back to my apartment after walking back from the ER on crutches (my first time). I did it because I heard her whispering behind her door like a coward as I crawled up to the 4th floor, without any neighborly assistance what so ever.
After I had to completely alter my life because of that accident, the woman began appearing in the hallway with a baby. Adoption? They looked fairly old for parents. She never even looked pregnant to me, not that I paid much notice to her or her husband. Maybe their drama was the result of some expensive and complicated IVF process, common to affluent older white people. They constantly had expensive packages mailed to them and they had pick up laundry service, so I knew they could afford another home. Who knows? But I noticed her demeanor was now servile and mincing at the mailboxes, when she used to defiantly ignore me by her husband's side. Aha. Now she was vulnerable, just her and the baby. 
Lucky for her. I would have gotten into it with her, such was the rare amount of anger she instilled in me. Her and her husband remain some of the cruelest, nastiest, selfish, and most self-centered people I've ever met, and that includes the batty neighbor next door who leaves a bathroom light on all night that shines directly into my bedroom. Was the baby loud? She asked me one time when we were in the foyer together. Did I hear them? Yes I did occasionally hear her, I said, but it would never occur to me to complain about a baby crying because they can't help it. Just like dogs.