Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Linden's


Me and my lunch: a meatball sub and Linden's cookies (with "hat head").

Growing up in New York is really, really weird. I knew the food was great, my grandparents were really fun and cool, and my parents very well-educated. I also knew that our culture is pervasive among t.v., movies, and the radio, but... isn't yours, too? No?! Oh, sorry 'bout that.

My journey has taken me many places, and the more I travel, the more I notice people's reactions to me and my hometown, my unique last name and distinctive looks, my marked speech patterns and my wealth (and breadth) of knowledge. It's a gap that continues to widen out there in the world which is why, like so many of my childhood classmates, we find ourselves drawn back to what is possibly the most famous place on the planet.

Same deal with our food here, and my kind of cooking: the only thing I knew about Linden's cookies as a kid was that we got them for lunch, or as after-school snacks with whole milk, not that it was a small, local, world-power that began at the same time as their friends, the fine makers of "Hellman's Mayonnaise"*, which is the best mayonnaise on Earth. It's so good, I used to eat mayo sandwiches for lunch or right before dinner, if I was starving and the food smelled delicious. 

We can't wait to finally meet you. Bonjour, les amis!

The key to coolness is in the ingredients: no bullshit necessary!