Monday, October 7, 2013

Faith: Horray!

 

When I was a kid, I thought this cartoon was about Catholicism, because I thought the people in yellow hooded robes were friars in habit. It seems funny to me now, but that's how I absorbed one of the most important early lessons we have; to be a fan of nature, to enjoy our natural resources as part of the miracle of creation, and to welcome dramatic events and happenings as part of the mystery of our faith. It made me happy to see brothers cheering the falls, happy to be witnesses to such a great spectacle. Yellow was also my favorite color. I was allowed to pick a paint color for my room as a kid, when it needed repainting, and this was close to the color I chose. When my mom asked me why I picked such a bright color, I said, "Because yellow is cheerful. It's bright and sunny. Like the sun."

It's certainly reflects how I feel about nature: a devoted fan of flora and fauna, and the beauty that's all around us. I don't remember the first time I went to Niagara Falls, and the second time I went (in winter), I was so sick that I forced myself through the experience, which seemed dramatically commercialized. The malls and the shopping centers surrounding Niagara seemed to almost overwhelm what was happening outside. I did buy an incredible pair of leather gloves from Canada, and that satisfied the Acadian part of me; seeing two sides of myself reconciled above one of nature's greatest forces, spanning across two countries. And that's how I now see this link between my childish perception and the reality of our practices - the perfect forging of two perspectives into one harmonious whole, which is exactly how it's supposed to be. Happy Monday to you!

Friars
http://www.ccr.org.uk/archive/gn0807/g11.htm.