Thursday, October 17, 2013

Tunnel of Light in the Darkness

Tunnel of Vines.
Walkway to heaven (or hell).

Revisiting old sites, and taking in some new ones. The top photo comes from a tangle of overgrown bushes I pass most every day. I've seen three different types of road kill by the side of the road (groundhog, beaver, and most horribly, a kitten) next to this stand of woods. Heartbreaking, and still some of the untamed wild. I wish I could build an elevated walkway for critters, like they do for koalas and kangaroos that migrate across highways in Australia.

The bottom pic is total nostalgia. I went to a school called Chestnut Grove that doesn't exist anymore, because the kids grew up and moved away. Now it's the seat for a county board, so it still gets some use, but there's nothing eerier than empty, silent playgrounds. 
It started out as one really cool looking old stone building (more on that later), then grew to an addition that's a rather standard box. Many years of my childhood were spent not knowing how my days would go: good or bad, I would never be able to determine if I would be running in fear from violence, or breathing a sigh of relief walking down this walkway to and from school. Isnt' that just like life?