Monday, July 29, 2013

Street Art: Yo, Vinny!

What is that? Who's Vinny?!
I have no idea who Vinny is, and back at art school in the 90s, when Andre the Giant stickers were passed around among us, I had no idea who his posse was. I still don't. But I know Shep Fairey is from RISD, and at the time I actually thought he was a printmaking major (he was an Illustration major), because he spent so much time screen printing projects in those studios. My friends in printmaking gave me my first batch of Andre stickers, and for years I still had one or two.

Photo
He's the hook that pulls you in.
I've traveled the world a bit, and I've seen Andre stickers on potted plants hanging in Amsterdam creperies, at an angle directly within my line of my vision, which was surreal, strange, and cool all at the same time. And that's how it goes: fine art thrives in the cult of exclusivity, that hipster feeling of being in the know, then spreads outward to the masses. I'm glad to see the next generation has taken up the baton of sticker art made for the streets. Go, man, go.