Monday, July 8, 2013

Martial Arts: Belt Rankings


Every martial artist loves going up in rank. It's the proverbial carrot in front of the horse-cart, the lure that keeps us coming back for pain we willingly pay the price for. As proud as we are, it is also counter to those same values to brag about it, because someone of the same rank can take your words to heart (or completely nut out in fear, envy, anger, and malice), by trying to kill you in the very next class. I've had more than one person say to me, while eying my latest belt, "So, you went up in rank again, huh?", often followed by "You didn't even say anything!", and now you know why.

Which brings us to the next principle: not all belts of the same color are created equal. It's a deceptive thing to base your training on. I've seen more prowess in someone of lesser rank, because a white belt for them only indicates learning a new art form, but they're actually a black belt in another discipline, hence much more advanced as an martial artist than you. 

On the other hand, I've sparred with black belts who simply did the time and paid for the classes, but they'll never be a fighter or a warrior of any serious worth (for a myriad of reasons), and isn't that true with any art form? It was doubly interesting for me, because I went up in rank yesterday, on Sunday, a day of rest and contemplation for most Catholics. And wouldn't you know what the title of this week's program read? "May I never boast of anything but the cross of the Lord."

I had placed my brand new, key chain-sized belt for Tai Chi Chuan on top of the church program, and the symbolism struck me deeply: the cross for those of faith, plus the cross made from two belt rankings. Who would you choose to follow? Which one would carry more weight with you? But, then again, for someone like me, life is always like that.  

Have an enriching week.