Thursday, August 30, 2012


prepping for stuffed apricot french toast

The level of preserves in the apricot jar in my fridge continued its downward trajectory. I knew I was tapping into its full potential as a food stuff. I was stretching it to the max by adapting it to suit my tastes. After the french toast glaze turned out successfully, I went with it as a breakfast again, this time refashioning the classic dish into a lighter stuffed version: no heavy cream cheese in the middle for me. 

Cloyingly overly rich creaminess tends to stick to the back of my throat in an unpleasant manner, like a doggie trying to eat too big a glob of peanut butter: It's a "Gah! I'm choking!" feeling in a moment of panic, and then relief after the foodstuffs are swallowed successfully, like I just crossed a raging Amazon river in spring time on a small, flimsy wood raft: "I almost died and now I'm still alive!" It's a bit much.

It's a really easy dish to make: a sandwich filled with apricot jam and butter soaks in an egg and milk bath (or half and half or cream) that's been flavored with cinnamon and sweetener, and then fried in butter. Remember that brown sugar glaze for grapefruit brulee? Still sans maple syrup, I made another small batch out of melted butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar for a syrup topping. It went quick. 
Enjoy your today.