Friday, August 24, 2012


Cucumbers in season
Because cucumbers are rampantly in season, and that growing season has been good for them, they are everywhere and they are cheap. For this omelet with leftover brown rice and fresh broccoli, cucumbers served as a crisp counterpoint to what could have been just another somewhat mushy and tasty healthy breakfast. Dieting has become a bad word, and healthy food yet another obsession of ours that various big Agri-Businesses can manipulate ("lite", low fat, low carb, or whatever they're trying to sell you based on your issues). 

So let me state this clearly, and for the record: I eat "clean", as it's called in training, because it helps my body perform it's best, but I do not deprive myself in some game of show that's about control. I veer far away from Eating Disorder land, and if you find yourself playing games with your food, you could be drifting close to those shores. It's easy to do, what with all the crazy mixed messages we get. Be beautiful (and thin), be healthy (but strong), be a hard worker (and be fun!!). A lesser mind could get confused with all that marketing swirling around. Maybe if we worked jobs we liked, expensive Disney-fied vacations wouldn't be the goal, and maybe if we ate reasonably, in tune with our body's messages, we wouldn't gorge on fast foods, then repent with a low carb facsimile of the same junk foods.

I eat because I am hungry and because I am, I actually look forward to my meals. I'm also an artist, so I can also cook whatever I want, with whatever food I have on hand, which makes it enjoyable, too. But that doesn't mean I don't stray from a strict training regime, like any other person. This past week I've been home sick and I didn't eat well for several days, so I am particularly ravenous, yet also cautious, with a funny tummy that's recovering. So if you see me around town grabbing a burger, that's because this American girl is not only hungry, she watches what she eats with love and care, which means I can eat what I'm currently having. It's simply a matter of effort through the keeping of a food diary and regular exercise, something that I suggest periodically: http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/. Why not try something new? Treat yourself with the care you deserve.