Thursday, February 23, 2012

Cooking with Gas

I've been experimenting with vegetables lately, specifically the kind I didn't eat growing up. The key to healthy, well-rounded eating is consuming as much variety as you can stand. Cooking with fresh, seasonal ingredients is the natural way to get the best results. With the enormous amount of produce available in the Northeast, we are very fortunate to have access to great food at relatively inexpensive prices, compared to Americans who pay more in shipping costs.

I bought spaghetti squash this week, which I've never cooked before. It was stringy, copious, and chewy, with not much natural flavor. Since it's a bit of a blank slate, it takes flavors well, and the more one can heap on, the better. After adding spices, onions, garlic, butter and olive, I put Locatelli Romano* on top and it still tasted flat. Challenging.

Home, on the range
I found it worked better today as a left over, and a fried dish at that. VoilĂ ! Frazzle Dazzle Spaghetti Squash Hash Browns, born out of necessity. I heated oil in a pan, cut up some leftover Applegate Farms** turkey breast as a base layer, frazzled that for awhile before forming a squash patty and placing that on top. Much better :)

Frazzle Dazzle Spaghetti Squash Hash Browns