Sunday, December 4, 2011

St. John the Divine



Street view of St. John the Divine, © Marie Doucette

After years of living out West, my homecoming of several full and glad years has extended itself into one big, long welcome back. I made a promise to myself that I would return for good, and I have. 

A couple of days before the move, years ago, I took a day trip to say "goodbye" to a few cherished landmarks: Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's Cathedral, and Saks Fifth Avenue, a shopping tourist trap I normally avoid. I made a minor token purchase, just so I could get a small souvenir bag from the store. 


Lady in Contemplation, © Marie Doucette

I told myself that when I came home, I would make it a point to see all the spots I've always wanted to, a New Yorkers' "Bucket List", if you will. And so I have, diligently working my way through it, one special place at a time.


Stained Glass of St. John the Divine, © Marie Doucette

Yesterday was gorgeous. The light was perfect for a visit to the Cathedral of St. John the Divine. I don't get to the Upper West Side often from Brooklyn, so it was the subway ride equivalent to a road trip upstate. And what a great day it was! Flawless lighting. 


The Arches of St. John the Divine, © Marie Doucette

Afterwards, I felt a minor head cold tugging around the edges of my usual unflagging energy. Back at home, going through the shots, I knew it was worth it. I'll have them forever, just like a deep and abiding love for the beauty of life on this Earth.


Park by the Cathedral of St. John the Divine, © Marie Doucette




Tom's Restaurant, © Marie Doucette



For the Seinfeld fans out there, here's a shot of the diner on the corner, down the block from the Cathedral. 
Look familiar to you?