Friday, May 31, 2013

Small Town America: Café Land


Cafe table with Guinness
There were not a lot of opportunities for me to people watch and gaze at the scenery growing up. The cul-de-sac lifestyle of the typical track home, split ranch 70s suburb did not afford such luxuries, nor were those types of charming little spots easily accessible. Petty battles over cars, gas usage, and mileage became standard teenage fare, as a means of exerting control and drawing turf lines. 

Fortunately for me, I love to walk, and I can adapt to most mass transit schedules, but I still didn't know the good places to go, because I didn't have the freedom to roam and explore. Now that my family has switched up locales, I'm enjoying the small town experience a lot more as an adult. There's much to be said for living within range to a town with amenities. You see more, you exercise more, you live a little more. It's a great way to go when the world doesn't pass you by in a blur of speeding images.

For many of us, we moved to the city after college simply to have access to a better lifestyle, because the rural 'burbs can be hard for many people who live an active life, and also love fine dining. Driving a car after hoisting a few is certainly not the way to go, and designated driving is one of those ideas that sounds good in theory, but doesn't pan out in real life. I hope you find some time this weekend to safely stop and smell the roses, or a bouquet of the finest. Slainte!