Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Hayao Miyazaki


I remember my first Hayao Miyazaki movie. I was talking
to a friend about Princess Mononoke, which features
a rebellious, righteous girl raised by a white wolf. From the opening scene, I was sold on his artistic vision, a done deal.

It's flawless animation, beautifully drawn, with the most gorgeous landscapes I've seen on film. This is the hand of a living master, there's no denying it. I began working my way through his filmography. http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsxk1qQPeX1qzea6yo1_500.gif



After watching Spirited Away, I remain in awe. It is the best animated movie I have seen thus far, and I am a huge devotee of the form—such spectacularly rendered water scenes, like the train ride from The Sixth Station. What craft, with timelessly enrapturing storytelling that pulls you in and doesn't let you go until the end. Wow. Powerful stuff. The characters are fascinating, from the small soot spirits, to the engorged wandering lost soul "No-Face", desperate to fill a need that material goods cannot satiate.

My Neighbor Totoro brilliantly captures the magical world of a little girl and her secret friends. In this case, it happens to be a large, furry, adorable tree spirit named "Totoro", which sparked a very profitable stuffed toy craze that I've yet to indulge in. Who wouldn't want a big, benign protector like Totoro around?

I also get a satisfying eyeful of incredible tree and forest art, writ large on the big screen.
I've always drawn, painted and taken pictures of tree forms in landscapes. Trees evoke so much character and personality.

They are the height of nature's beauty to me, an endless variety of shapes, colors, and forms, etched against different skies and backgrounds. I love the traditional Shinto mythologies woven throughout Miyazaki's movies. It resonates with me, as that spiritual centeredness which define me as a hiker.

I could write about each film, but there's so much to discover visually, I don't want to divulge spoilers for the uninitiated. I invite you to explore his worlds at the very next opportunity you have.  
You will be blown away.