Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Prospect Park Zoo


Sea Lion, © Marie Doucette 2012
Here in Park Slope, we have our own version of the zoo from Madagascar: a sweet, homey place filled with good vibes. I've been meaning to visit the Prospect Park Zoo for many years, but just like with Greenwood Cemetery, time got away from me. Yesterday was a beautifully clear and sunny day, perfect for a walk through the park and a visit to my local zoo. It's an incredible place.

Indoor Aquarium, © Marie Doucette 2012
There's several indoor buildings with animals for viewing, clustered in a semi-circle around the outdoor Sea Lion exhibit. For children (and big kids, too), there's a very charming petting zoo, with food pellet dispensers for an interactive experience. Who doesn't like seeing cute critters up close? I know I do. The geese put on a funny show for visitors by trying to fit in a small barrel of water, while the llamas placidly chewed straw and watched, unconcerned with their frenzied feathered antics.

Petting Barn, © Marie Doucette 2012
This little fellow felt asleep in the warmth of the midday sun, drowsing while leaning against a tree stump, a picture of contentment.

Afternoon Nap, © 2012 Marie Doucette
The petting zoo portion of the park has barn buildings, lending an air of authenticity to the atmosphere. The feel of it couldn't be less exploitative, if animal enthusiasts have concerns about supporting a zoo. This is a typical day for domesticated farm animals.

Entrance to the Discovery Trails, © 2012 Marie Doucette
The entrance to the Discovery Trail is magical. Beautiful sculptures decorate a stone walkway. During the outdoor exhibit tour, visitors walk along trails that showcase different animal terrains. I was psyched. Here. We. Go. Oh boy, oh boy. Red pandas!! OK, calm down, I told myself. RED PANDAS!!! Didn't work.

Sleeping Duck, © Marie Doucette
The aviary has several species living within it. Can you find the bird in this picture? As nice as this area is to explore, I had something else on my mind. Hmm, what could that be? O.M.G. There he is!! The rock star of the zoo, the Red Panda. I won't lie to my audience by writing that I played cool, because I did not. I talked to the pair of pandas like a babbling, star struck fan, while the young male swaggered around scenting bushes. Wow. Major attitude. I was totally impressed. You can tell he's a young one by the way he aggressively paces back and forth, actively guarding the perimeter to their zone.

The Red Panda of Prospect Park Zoo, © 2012 Marie Doucette
After a territorial breach on a tree branch almost lead to a throw down, the bears separated again. The older panda defended its' portion by raising its' hackles, hissing and bearing a set of pointed fangs. They have extremely sharp claws for grabbing on to tree limbs, making them experts at climbing. They are stunning creatures bearing impressive markings, active and aware with a lively intelligence. Despite their small size, I would not want to be in there with them. They are brawlers for sure. PANDAS RULE!

Red Panda Feeding, © 2012 Marie Doucette
My visit was everything I hoped for and more. Because of its small size, the Prospect Park Zoo is very manageable as part of a longer trip to the park itself. It is an excellently curated collection of special animals, chosen with obvious care and tended with love. While I was there, an art program was in progress for a small group of children, overseen by a zoo worker, in a section dedicated for just such a purpose. They observe animals in their terrariums, working on craft projects and learning about the wonderful creatures that live there. See for yourself and have a great adventure!