Wednesday, February 15, 2012

"All the single ladies..."

Guardian at the Gate Marie Doucette 2012
Years ago, living in New York post-college, me and my friends hit the town single. This predated big careers, marriages (some divorce), kids, mortgages, ailing parents, what have you. Still, we haven't changed our instinctively negative response to the rampant commercialization that's run rife in our society. We watched Capitalism go completely haywire, creating generations of Americans who sublimate their feelings and funnel their emotions into shopping as a mode of creative expression. Hoarding, the voice of the next generation. Not exactly the "Star Trek" future we had in mind.

Lady of the Night Marie Doucette 2012
In response to the crassly-colored Valentine's Day crap crammed into drugstores, garishly festooned with little girl bows and lace, me and my crew rejected so much childish sentiment. Thus was born the single persons' party, one fun and rowdy night out with one of my boys, who was also riding solo on Valentine's Day: whiskey (lots of it), cigars, and hot wings.

Whiskey Row Marie Doucette 2012
I'm happy to report that I upheld this important ritual in high style last night, and I had a blast doing so. Thanks to the folks at Keens Steakhouse, for helping me celebrate with aged Black Bush on the rocks and a killer burger. I debated buying a cigar afterwards, but it's not really my lifestyle anymore. To the great people I met at the bar, it was a pleasure talking with all of you. You're a big part of what makes this city such a wonderful place to live. Happy Valentine's Day!