Friday, September 27, 2013

Nature: Mystery Fruit


Mysterious fruit tree.

I walked past this weird tree several times this summer, and it intrigued me each time. I'd never seen something like it before. The fruit kinda looked like a chestnut, but the fuzzy texture threw me. WTF?! Finally, I had to go deep, and I picked one so I could kick it. No dice, because it didn't rupture open upon contact. OK, fine. I stepped on one, and it exploded like a ripe grape. Nice! Naturally, that led me to picking one so I could dissect it for further scientific experiments. Sorry, neighbor! 

What the....?! What is that?!

Me and my mom looked at one on the kitchen table, while I expounded on my theory: it was citrus, because it had a slight orange-y scent and a dimpled rind, though the peach fuzz stumped us both. I left it out for awhile (so I could get it open after it ripened), and then I put it on a bookshelf and forgot about it, until one morning I remembered that I wanted to cut it open. So I did. Aha! We looked at its' distinct sections, which made it definitely citrus, as did the seed shape. 
But what fucking kind? We didn't know. 

Aha! Getting closer to the answer....

I went to the library and looked it up on Google by typing in the words "citrus" and "fuzzy" and there it was: the freaky looking fruit tree. See for yourself, for great mysteries revealed: http://www.al.com/living/index.ssf/2012/06/that_twisty_thorny_plant_with.html
Even the name is cool.


I got your nature right here: