Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Dogs: Dog Statues


Notice the intent stare on this dog statue.

Devoted dog owners, like people who love to cook, are people who like to have a good time. We're wacky in a socially acceptable way. Walking around town, I noticed a lot of funny doggie statues, some oddly realistic, like their eyes follow you and stuff. I had an uncle who loved to go through garbage dumps for weird stuff that he would dump on our lawn when we weren't home. 


Bulldog with human bifocals.

It was great fun for me as a kid, because you never knew what you'd find when you pulled in the driveway. It could be a tree, or a tire planter, or a plastic statue. My mom is pretty serious about her "no plastic lawn ornaments rule" (or those racist jockeys statues, that's just wrong) so when I see wacky dog sculptures, it reminds me of him. I love beautifully decorated houses and lawns, but thrown in a good sense of humor, and I'm done.  

What could be more welcoming?

Terrier in the garden.
You're a weirdo, funny dog person.