Thursday, October 18, 2012

Walkabouts

Mural, 5th Avenue
Brooklyn Tile Supply
Sinker and his walking partner

In every culture the hero embarks upon a mythic quest, undergoing many tests of strengths and feats of ingenuity, from Point A to Point B. Though he may fail here and there, or even at the end ultimately, arriving at the destination with his self intact is the actual prize. Having learned the lessons from his travails in the form of experiences is the real riches, in lieu of securing that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, or the treasure chest filled with pirate booty.


Mural, 5th Avenue
Baltic and 5th

I've always walked to clear my head, or to enjoy nature, or simply to get from here to there. Walking does it for me more than any other form of movement. It is the original human way to travel, and we are designed to make such arduous journeys. Whenever I design a walk for myself, whatever happens to me between starting out and arriving is the ultimate goal.
  


church spire
Muslim Barbie

I call them "adventures", and to me it's not really critical whether I have them in my hometown, or that I navigate the harder terrain of a far-off country with a foreign language, or that I finally reach the top of that mountain. The destination is important, but the journey is where all the best prizes are. You do that 20 times over, and you get it. You do it 2,000 times, and it enriches you that much faster.


Atlantic Avenue antique shop
Building map

For this walk, I set out for this years' homegrown literary festival, The Brooklyn Book Fair. We have an inordinate amount of actual literary types (and their equivalent wannabes), thanks to an artistic population with more geniuses per capita than any other American town, which makes for really great happenings. Most of us discovered this Brooklyn out of economic necessity, and we stay because we get it. We get this town. We are this town, and we helped make it what it is. Needless, there is so much to see that it is a treasure trove of experiences.

Atlantic Avenue boutique
French slave ship
Obama eats pizza
Performance space

I love the instantaneous quality of Instagram (as its' name implies), but not enough people are stepping up and discovering the work for themselves, so I thought I'd lay it out here, in one place for you to see, in the form of my journey to the book fair and back. I see new things all the time, and rediscover what is new among the old so that it never gets old. By happy coincidence, Fall is made for walking—no heavy sweats with hot, fetid-smelling, humid air hanging about. Let's go!

There's so much to see.

biker/hipster bar
community garden
The 5 dollar special