Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Brooklyn Carnival






People of Brooklyn, je t'taime! Yesterday was my first West Indian Day Parade and as a native New Yorker, I can't tell you how much it meant to me. It was wonderful to be there and a lovelier, friendlier crowd would be hard to find. I promise to be less shy next time about choosing food. I was just taking it all in.

Me and my new friends joked about the parade of politicians, officials, and candidates (federal and local) followed by the banks and then the clergy—a walking seat of money and power that is at the core of our country's political system. They took up way too much time. The police presence was also heavy and visible, separating dance crews with a length of orange mesh that served as a barrier.

The lag time between performers was also too long, though they put on a good show when they passed us by. Tons of spirit, energy, and esprit de corps! We just wanted to dance and have fun, so it was a real buzz-kill seeing the police barriers after such a long wait. Hopefully the timing and pacing will get better with each passing year, because here in the 'hood, we love to party. Thank God it's Brooklyn!