Monday, November 21, 2011

Autumn at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden



Tiger Orchid, © Marie Doucette 2011


With the assistance of social media, I've designed a "Wall" that's essentially my version of a newspaper. 

Many of the interests that I follow ( Koko!!, Boo!! ) are gathered in one easy-to-access place, oftentimes with updates, event reminders, and articles for each. It's the best daily I've created, yet!



Naturally, I "Like" my hometown botanical garden very much, given it's proximity to the neighborhoods bordering Prospect Park. When I read an update from *BBG that a rare and giant Tiger Orchid bloomed for the first time in 13 years, I knew a walk through the gardens to visit the conservatory was a must. And what a day it was!  
*http://www.bbg.org/news/tiger_orchid_blooms/
 
Figure in Grove, © Marie Doucette 2011
Here in the Western Hemisphere, as we turn slowly from the sun, the beautiful, golden light of Autumn creates long and elegant shadows out of the fading amber rays. Just gorgeous!

Tree in Silhouette, © Marie Doucette 2011
Dougherty Sculpture, © Marie Doucette 2011

I filled my lungs with crisp, clear air, ripe with the loamy scent of 
fallen leaves. Rustling my feet through the ground beneath the trees
I gathered up an armful of russet-colored leaves, and flung them joyfully into the air. The day was a good reminder to enjoy the gifts and blessings that come with each passing season.


Happy Thanksgiving,  from me to you.