Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Little Church Around the Corner

Earlier this week I was walking to dinner, when I found myself pulled in the wrong direction for my meeting spot, but the right direction for my soul. The Church of the Transfiguration had caught my eye a few times before, on quick jaunts around the neighborhood.

During this evenings' walk, I stopped to admire it more closely. I was surprised and delighted to find small yet beautifully decorated grounds around the church, with all manner of sculptures and fountains. There's also a charming grave-marker for the parish cat, from the 19th century.


As I inspected the art and outer buildings more closely, I found a sign detailing the church's history. And what a great story it is. In the past, actors had been considered people of ill-repute and societal pariahs. Many of them were often turned away from parishes. This particular church became a safe haven for the actors of New York, when spiritual tending and other services were required.

It was here that they created a community of like-minded souls, to worship and make art together in peaceful harmony. Many of us may not be able to make the trip to our religious institutions today, due to inclement weather. As those of us on the east coast weather the storm, we can still give thanks for our many blessings and pray for the continued safety of our loved ones.

No matter where you may be on this Sunday, look to within for strength and guidance, and you'll find it.

http://www.littlechurch.org/history.html
http://www.littlechurch.org/