Monday, April 4, 2016

Dress Rehearsal


https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/86/PassTheMic.jpg
Cover for the single "Pass the Mic" by Beastie Boys

New York kids have it rough. Every day is a big fucking drama (without the show business money and audience applause), that your overly histrionic parents stage for disordered friends and family in a rigidly codependent cycle with a distinct pattern, and all you want is some fucking milky tea with cookies after a cold rainy day at school and your after-school job. You know? Everything's a big fucking show, like an act that has three distinctly separate parts with different hair and makeup, sparkly outfit changes, and obligatory curtain calls made mandatory just for them. It's a horrible place where you have to figure out for them (as a three year old) why they don't just get up and "go", because none of it has anything to do with you in the least, and you're a genius toddler who just wants some fucking hot chocolate with whipped cream on top when it's cold outside.

It's excruciating solving other people's problems all day long just to have the simplest, most basic human needs neglected right in your cute lil' kiddie face (and you did nothing wrong, again), whether it's done intentionally or during their self-proclaimed "mental health day", and you know how that goes down: the shades HAVE TO be pulled down so no light can penetrate the tomb-like darkness of their inner sanctum (like a parents' bedroom), you wet a washcloth for said drama queen's head (ahem, hi Diane), and absolutely no noises can be made by anyone or anything, because it's three in the afternoon and you just want a fucking snack like any other young human in your tribe does. 

Children of New York, and other peoples of the world: today I officially declare that the hyped-up bullshit act ends. Tell someone (anyone!) that you have a rabid drama-queen for a parent, and teachers: get involved. It's us or them, and we fight for human rights violations as social justice providers on the daily that our societies so desperately need. We can either take care of each other, let them burn us out completely, or we can take back the day by not letting their madness win. I know what I decided a very long time ago. Don't let it happen to you and your life, or you might go down with them. It's time to drop the act. Stop acting like life is a big commercial, and get real with it. Who's with me?!

For my Rockland peeps: http://namirockland.org/index.html


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamite_%28magazine%29

Pass the Mic
If you can feel what I'm feeling then it's a musical masterpiece
Hear what I'm dealing with then that's cool at least
What's running through my mind comes through in my walk
True feelings are shown from the way that I talk and this is me, y'all
An M.C., y'all my name is M.C.A. and I still do what I please
And now I'd like to introduce (what's up?)
I'll pass the mic to D for a fistful of truth
The name is D, y'all, and I don't play
And I can rock a block party 'till your hair turns grey
(So, what you sayin'?) I explode on site
I'm like Jimmy Walker, I'm (dy-no-mite!)
And now I'd like to pass the mic
To Adrock, c'mon and do anything you like
I'm the A-D-R-O-C-K, in the place with the bass, I'm going all the way
I can't stop y'all, tock-tick, y'all
And if… Full lyrics on Google Play