Friday, February 26, 2016

Sacred Earth


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keep_America_Beautiful

Ever since I can remember, I've had values, ethics, and morality attached to conservation, with a genuine love for nature. It's like breathing to me. So, when I encounter ignorance (whether real or fake) about what it takes to keep our environment clean and safe for future generations, I know it's total fucking bullshit. Toddlers know not to litter, because fouling one's own nest is contrary to every living species on this planet, except for those sick humans who want to die from their own filth, which is about as contrary to any life-force as you can get, but that's the walking dead for you. Hard to talk to about, like, stuff.

One of the most successful anti-littering campaigns was widely aired during my prime t.v. viewing years as a kid, and as an adult GenX'er, I knew someday I would grow up to help my crying native friend, because I felt his disgust at this Hollywood version of Anglo hatred toward our planet as keenly as he did (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Eyes_Cody). Luckily in this century, we have genetic testing and a DNA database to protect our tribal affiliations. It was so powerful an experience for me as a little girl that I've never forgotten its impactful imagery. A lone "native" man stands looking at all the waste European colonists have wrought upon the landscape with a deep sadness, along with many other genetic diseases that we don't really need in this "new" world of yours discovered by humans more spiritual than you, motherfucker, but I digress.

Last spring, when I had a long wisdom tooth pulled, I sat watching a new flat-screen t.v. in a fancy dentist's office here in town as a welcome distraction, with the channel set to a Hudson Valley news channel. My procedure was over quickly, as I knew it would be, because the old tooth had descended fully and was weak from invading cavities. As I sat prone with instruments and humans poking around my mouth like they were interested cave explorers discovering an underground species of blind bats (I have some very unique and totally identifiable dental features), I was heartened to see a wonderfully inclusive ceremony involving a cute gaggle of kids, a rabbi, a priest, and a medicine man. Sounds like a fun joke, right? No joke!

A group gathered to bless our Hudson River in a honoring ritual that speaks of its importance to us as a giver of life. Uh uh! I grunted my recognition of such a great experience being filmed live and right near our shores. Yeah, fuckers! That's it!! You finally fucking did it! You got one thing right, and it's not a small one. Well done. It only took you a few centuries to catch onto our ancient relationship with this blessed Mother Earth, on this shining gem of a precious vessel that is your flying biosphere spaceship. Kudos. You're moving past children's entertainment to the real. Welcome to our happy valley, but be careful. We protect what we love here.



http://cdn.news12.com/polopoly_fs/1.10314129.1429721755!/httpImage/image.jpeg_gen/derivatives/feature_640/image.jpeg
http://westchester.news12.com/news/blessing-of-the-hudson-river-held-1.10314127