Thursday, May 21, 2015

For all the ladies and the girls...


http://www.wholefoodsmagazine.com/sites/default/files/images/articles/2013/July/Profile%20Pics/natracare-and-daisy-logo.jpg
http://www.natracare.com/Default.aspx?CultureId=en-GB

A couple of days ago, Dr. Joseph Mercola published an article through his Twitter feed about toxic healthcare products for women and girls. As I scrolled through my feed before yoga class (the Dalai Lama tweeted right before class began, which I found to be a most excellent synergy, since our instructor is Buddhist), I was inspired to ask some of my older retiree friends if they knew about this valuable piece of information: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/05/22/feminine-hygiene-products.aspx.

I had good reason to. Rockland County moves at a slower country pace than our fair Gotham. I noticed the local shops around town do not have a wide selection of healthy, organic female products, which reflects an attitude that lags behind our larger and more sophisticated urban areas.

Neither ladies I spoke with in class knew about the availability of organic feminine products, and one of my friends urged me to publish this piece about it (Done! This is for you, Irish Marys!), as I encouraged them to buy healthy organic products for the women and girls in their families. The plastic linings and toxic chemicals in the most popular and commercially available feminine products are one of the direct causes of those nasty smells that are fobbed off as a typically foul female odor.

Women who sleep with men regularly (like me and my friends), are exposed to semen. When sperm dies, it often emits a fishy odor we can smell. As a couple, it's part of our sex life. That's why we practice good hygiene after sex with our men: it's part of staying healthy and balanced for us. Of course, diet and health are great barometers for strong odors, too. If you smell bad, tell your doctor. You may have an infection that needs tending: http://www.mommyedition.com/how-to-get-rid-of-unpleasant-vaginal-odor.

So, I went on to tell my lady friends before class that I immediately noticed NO ODOR after using organic cotton products. Like, none whatsoever, but truth be told, I've been told by my lovers that my natural scent is very erotic to them, so I never really thought about it until I moved back here; to a county where healthcare sometimes stops cold or goes dead completely, because we're still close enough to the best doctors on the planet in New York City that local needs often go unaddressed.

Have a congenital hole in your heart? Well, so does the Nurse Practitioner at our local public library, a nice lady who stops by every month to take our blood pressure for free. She had open heart surgery performed by our brilliant (and handsome!) New York surgeon, Dr. Oz. To us, he's not just some "talking head" appearing on your t.v. set. He's the man who saved the life of a beloved Irish grandmother when she took gravely ill and then completely recovered under his patient care. 

And so it is with me, too. I want the best for you that's possible, and that includes freedom from cancers that affect women through the continued poisonous exposure to products that hurt us, at the times when we are most vulnerable. Shame on you. Shame on all of you. How dare you do that to women and girls during my time?!

Blessed to you who are meek as I am strong, on this fair May Day in 2015, a month made for mothers and daughters, in loving honor of those who love us the most. Good health to you all.