Thursday, December 4, 2014

The First Day of Snow



We had our first snow day a week or so ago, right before Thanksgiving. It was awesome: the stores closed early, only a few people were out, and everything was covered with a pretty blanket of snow. There air is so clean after a snowfall, I just breathed it in, remembering childhood snow days past: "no school" announcements on the radio with a brief (but joyous) family freakout, pancakes and cartoons for breakfast with my bros, followed by snowmen and precariously-made snow tunnels outside with our snow dog "Snowflake", the cutest little girl Samoyed an Acadian kid could ever hope to have. 


If it was Saturday, my Dad might take us sledding at Rockland Lake, with hot chocolate and melting marshmallows at home later, around the big kitchen table my mother's cousin made for us, after removing layers and layers of heavily sodden snow gear. It still has the power to bring out the kid in me, and so it did. I padded around town in my red snow boots with a big smile on my face. Enjoy it while you can. Snow today is often gone tomorrow.