Saturday, September 13, 2014

Cornfield to Nowhere


Huh. That's an odd juxtaposition.

"Welcome to mah jungle!"

I've walked past this oddly cultivated batch of corn and other assorted plants for awhile now, and I have no idea what it's doing behind a gas station or next to a bus stop, but I really don't care. I like the idea of some wacky station owner or old county farmer refusing to sell out to developers by obstinately retaining this weird garden patch in the middle of nowhere. 

Why an arrangement of corn rows densely interspersed with lawn hedges? Dear readers, I went in for a closer look, and I still have no fucking clue what this crazy redneck is thinking of, but whoever he (or she) is, they're my kind of rebel. Raise your freak flag high and grow some vegetables, you damn Yankee. Hat's off to you!


A little bit of rust and car exhaust never hurt no one.
Fill 'er up, dump off old clothes, pick some corn, or take two shrubs. Huh?
Boat and rocks. Lots and lots of rocks.
An exceptionally dense Yankee thicket.
Corn AND ornamental shrubs. Oh my!

And corn. And actual ear of corn can grow here.
Why ram a truck into it, or park two trailers, a boat, and a pile of rocks?
Because he's a rebel redneck Yankee and you're not. That's why!
Jeebus...real corn with cobs and all.
Squash patches and car oil.
Why here?! Whose is it?
You caught my attention with your strange garden patch. Grow on!

Redneck flower pot=discarded tire.
You beautiful weirdo. Kudos.