Friday, July 11, 2014

The Little Cottage


The smallest cottage in town.

A few weeks ago, I received an email prompt about a new rental property on the market. As soon as I saw the picture, I knew I'd go see it; it looked so wee and small, like the perfect fairy tale cottage from a chidren's fable. The afternoon I went looking for it, I walked in the wrong direction, away from town. A neighbor called out to me as I stood on the sidewalk perplexed. After we talked, I headed back towards town, to the south side that I rarely walk to, near the railroad tracks, because it's in the less prosperous part of town. When I found the house, I thought it was perfectly lovely, though it needs a bit loving care. 

It is indeed a small one bedroom, though my neighbor told me she always thought it would make a nice taxi stand, given its' proximity to the town's railroad station. I see it's future in a much cuter and quainter way: that of the local pie shop, dressed up in brightly appealing candy colors, the trim hand-painted with floral motifs, decorated by the charming lady behind the counter, who shows the townspeople love and care with her crisp, frilly aproned self, briskly dispensing advice and attention along with her expertly made pies, in a feminine counterpoint to the many pubs in town for the men.  

What do you think?