Wednesday, December 18, 2013

This is 44

A Japanese horror movie.
Every year on my birthday, I keep to a tradition that honors my ongoing commitment, and the promise I made to my family, that I would make taking care of myself a priority in my life. It's not easy, because even a casual reader here knows that much of my life is devoted to helping others. It is my pleasure to serve, but every good mom out there knows where I'm coming from about giving until it hurts.

Before getting it chopped.
I've learned the heard way that if I do not take some time for myself, I will eventually crash and burn, which sends those around me who are dependent on me into a tailspin while I rebuild, and at this age, I don't have the time for that kind of a long process anymore.
One last look at my grow out.
At the salon on a snow day.












So every year, I do something that's just for me: get a massage, or my nails done, or a haircut. This year, I did all three in the middle of a snow day. I got my hair cut first, then a manicure and pedicure, followed by a ten minute chair massage.
Steeling myself: this ain't nothing for a Warrior Princess.
Later in the day I ordered pizza, drank a glass of beer with a couple of pepperoni slices, and watched The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey with my mom. It was brilliant, by the way; we were riveted. 
All in all, it was a pretty good day :)




Thanks to Katy for the great bob and the chat (sorry gals, no hair color was added, it's just my iPhone settings), and my new friends at the nail salon who gave me some prettily packaged lotion as a free gift.