Friday, December 21, 2012

At Home: Warmth and Cheer


Christmas time at 3rd Street
This year is a low key Christmas for me for many reasons, so it has become one that I can celebrate without all the hype and merchandise. I see it as a great opportunity for reflection and expression. The theme is very simple: trees, lights, and The Nativity. I have a small African sculpture of the scene carved out of salt sitting underneath this tree, a gift I got from my mom from UNICEF, and a 3D paper assemblage sits atop one of the bookcases. 

The second tree is on the mantle, next to the t.v. In my bedroom, I have a wise man riding on a camel, another gift , this one given to me by my stepmother. I couldn't help but notice my decor is remarkably similar to my church's, though on a much humbler and smaller scale. After so many years of kowtowing to others peoples' ideas about the holidays, ones that were always forced upon me, I also couldn't help but notice that this years' decorations feel the most authentic to me and my ideas about Christmas. 

They bring me a sense of peace and calm I had yet to feel around the holidays, and for that first, I am truly grateful. It's important to feel that connection. How will you celebrate this year in a way that feels true to you?